Territory Planning and Mapping
Australian and International
It’s all about interacting.
Spectrum Analysis Territory Planning and Mapping
Geographic Information System (GIS), worldwide online maps for data visualisation, territory mapping, target market indexing.
Territory Planning, Exclusion Zones and Marketing or Sales Area Mapping
Are you responsible for territory planning, exclusion zones, marketing or sales area mapping?
Do you need to ensure that all areas have been allocated equitably whilst factoring in the industry type and the target market for each area?
Allocating equitable territories and areas ensures that there is an equitable sales and profit potential across individual areas.
We can allocate territories, exclusion zones, marketing or sales areas based on:
- aggregate postcodes or zip codes
- landline telephone exchange areas for 13 call number diversions
- other area sizes based on existing data, territories that have already been allocated or some other geographic allocation
- produce maps, in various formats, for individual territories and areas
- produce maps, in various formats, for state, national or international territories and areas
- produce sample PDF maps before a final full maps request or development of an online interactive application that can be used by individual or group login
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Are you responsible for providing Australian or international maps for your enterprise?
Geographic Information System (GIS) software gathers, manages and analyses multiple forms of data. It can analyse spatial location, organise layers of information into visualisations using geographic maps and 3D scenes.
GIS can reveal much deeper insights into data, such as patterns, relationships, and situations and allow users to make better enterprise decisions.
A good quality map makes it easy to interpret complex geographical and demographic information at a glance. To produce a user friendly map can be expensive and technically challenging. We can:
- provide expert GIS services using the latest GIS Mapping Software and associated data
- provide GIS consultancy services
- develop online mapping solutions
- prepare hard copy maps up to A0 wall map size
- prepare PDF maps
International Mapping Solutions
Are you responsible for preparing international maps of site locations and territories worldwide?
We can use data from Mango and use geospatial analytics with MapInfo Pro to integrate data, maps, and demographics and then leverage that information with powerful querying and modelling tools to create:
- standard sets of territory maps
- plot sites internationally in PDF or printed maps or via an online login
- include basic demographics for you and your competitors via layers you can turn on or off
This online service also provides individual links for each site to review their specific territory which is ideal for showing potential franchisees their territory without showing them the entire network plan.
We have provided this service to over 30 different countries and can work with international operations expanding into Australia as well as Australian operations expanding overseas.
- produce a worldwide cloud based system that meets the requirements of most franchise systems
- establish and map territories and provide a single source of truth
- share territory specifics with individual users (current or future purchasers)
- provide different level passwords to protect the data and give you the security you need for different users
- create a user-friendly interface that doesn’t require extensive training to access, simply point and click
Geocoding Members, Customers, Enterprises and Site Locations
Would you like to see a graphical representation, on a map, of all of your Members, Customers, Enterprises (your own or your Competitors) and Site Locations?
Geocoding allows us to give every address a spatial coordinate (a spot on a map) and we do this by using a Map Marker Tool. We can use this plotted information to:
- show Member density (members per 1,000 people) by a defined radius or postcode/s
- show which Members or Customers use which site or store
- compare leads generated with sales completed
- identify specific penetrations to align with a sponsor’s target catchments
- map your competitors and compare with your penetration
- show you where your potential members, customers, enterprises and sites are
- show where to market for new members, customers, enterprises and sites
- identify primary and secondary catchment areas
- discover the services your members would like
These services are particularly useful for Member based Clubs (Professional and Amateur Sports, Service Clubs etc) and Associations (Professional Industry Groups, Hotel Chains etc).
Units of Demand Mapping
Are you responsible for territory planning for a B2B business?
We can use combined variables from the Business Size and Business Type categories to represent the sales capacity of different areas, sites or territories.
When you have selected the Business Size and Type categories, we construct a matrix to assess how much additional opportunity comes from each size of business (for example 5-19 employees) and which type of business best suits what they are selling (for example real estate for signs).
For each Business Size you choose a factor of one or more. Low opportunity for business size would be 1, four times the opportunity would be 4, twelve times the opportunity would be 12.
For each Business Category, you choose a value between 1 and 10 according to how the business type best suits your sales so your Demand Estimate would be between 1 and 10 for each Business Category.
If you cannot determine any difference between the type of businesses, we will value each type of business as equal potential for you.
- create Units of Demand for every area, site or territory you would like mapped and if we have already agreed on how many territories are to be cut, we divide the Total Units of Demand by the Number of Territories to identify how many Units of Demand there will be in each territory
- adjust each territory for approximately equal demand whilst maintaining whole postcodes within each territory as we cannot measure part postcodes from the source data and it is easier to describe without exact maps and most potential franchisees understand postcodes Mapping
Australian Business Counts Mapping
Are you responsible for a Business to Business (B2B) enterprise (for example, printing, business loans, sign manufacturers) that needs to estimate the sales potential of your territories?
As mentioned above, we can provide a Business and Employment Map as a stand alone product by area, site, territory or any other customised region.
Australian Business Count Data is published for geographic units at the Statistical Area 2 (SA2) level. There are approximately 2,200 SA2s geographic units with the average residential population of approximately 10,000 people and average employing business count of approximately 400 (excluding SA2s very low counts).
Businesses are categorised by size and type.
Business Size categories include:
- non-employing businesses
- 1-4 employees
- 5-19 employees
- 20 – 199 employees
- 200+ employees
The non-employing category includes businesses with low levels of activity but excludes businesses that have shown near-zero activity over multiple consecutive quarters, holding companies and non-incorporated businesses such as owner-operators (self employed).
Business Type categories are defined according to the Australia and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) system and include:
- A Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
- B Mining
- C Manufacturing
- D Electricity, Gas, Water, Waste
- E Construction
- F Wholesale Trade
- G Retail Trade
- H Accommodation, Hospitality
- I Transport, Postal, Warehousing
- J Information, Media, Telecoms
- K Financial and Insurance
- L Rental, Hiring, Real Estate
- M Professional, Scientific, Technical
- N Administrative and Support
- O Public Administration and Safety
- P Education and Training
- Q Health Care and Social Assistance
- R Arts and Recreation
- S Other Services
- X Not Stated/Unknown
- prepare small area data using the Disaggregation Method as most SA2s are either too large or do not match your area, site or territory request so we can re-use the data at SA1 geographic unit level (over 54,000 across Australia)
- align this data with the Spectrum Analysis Business Hit List and distribute the business counts into the SA1s based on the relative proportion of business locations in a given SA1 compared with the source SA2. So, if an SA2 contained 1,000 business locations according to the Hit List, and a given SA1 contained 100 of those, then 10% of each from the ABS counts would be attributed to that SA1
- whilst understanding that any single count for a single SA1 will be highly approximate, the errors average down towards zero as large numbers of SA1s are grouped together (for example, to assess the business population of a given postcode). Small values from specific cells specified by both type and size should always be interpreted with caution
Our Australian Business Count data analysis is very helpful for B2B enterprises entering or expanding across Australia. Mapping
Google Earth and Google Maps Output
We can create these interactive views and overlay demographic information including:
- site locations or store networks
- customer or member distributions
- marketing areas or territory plans
- your specific data requirements
- zoom out for perspective or zoom in for detail or ‘walk around’ in relation to other members, customers, enterprises, sites, drivers or attractions
- interact with the mapping solution by adding or removing the satellite picture, road labels, major landmarks, data sets etc
- plot callers into a call centre so that leads are allocated according to pre-determined territories or marketing areas and referred to the nearest site or store
Contact us if you would like to receive a sample KML file showing the Optometrists Stores in Geelong, Australia.
Once the KML file is uploaded, you can choose the ‘Map Style’ you would like including Clean, Exploration, Everything or Custom and turn on or off additional features as well.
Target Market Indexing for Business Potential
Are you looking for a single index score that can be used to compare the potential for various areas based on several socio-economic characteristics?
Your enterprise may have a very specific target group of interest with several characteristics that optimise the probability of a site or territory’s sales performance.
We can use various data when calculating a Target Market Index (TMI) including:
- residential demographics
- employment statistics
- business distribution
These characteristics can also be weighted if you felt that one characteristic was more important than another.
- develop a TMI score that can be mapped (using a variety of shadings) across any area of interest and instantly show the hot spots of highest opportunity
- overlap other mapping data across the top of the TMI map including competition locations, territory boundaries and current store locations
- combine multiple characteristics of a target market
- identify generator information
- identify highest potential locations at a glance
If your demographic characteristics change over time, we can also adjust the maps accordingly. A typical map will show the 1st highest potential area in red and then go through 2nd highest orange, 3rd highest light orange, 4th highest lighter orange through to grey for lowest potential.
Interactive Store Maps
Have you been asked to provide specific store information through a point and click mapping interface in HTML for use on a website or to be seen online at any time?
The click component could include:
- store fact sheet
- location map
- area demographic summary
- area business and employment summary
- business hit list
- store photographs
- interactive store map
This information can be helpful at either a full network level or an individual store level.
- provide access to large amounts of information in a user friendly format, just like browsing a website, at individual store level
- provide national, state and international maps to see the associated documentation, data and maps
- develop a master login for the head office with all network information and different user logins for specific store information (for either existing or prospective franchisees)
- provide user manuals, documentation, data sheets or maps in various formats including Store Data Packs
- provide a simplified version for your enterprise website
Interactive Territory Maps
Have you been asked to provide specific territory information through a point and click mapping interface in HTML for use on a website or to be seen online at any time?
Just like our Interactive Store Maps listed above, we can provide a similar service for enterprises at the territory level.
All of this information can be used to create Territory Data Packs.